There are a number of ways in which you can enhance the speed of your website. After all, every website owner wants his/her website to be fast and load quickly. Today I am going to give you a few tips for speeding up your website. These tips are fairly simple and easy to implement.
1. You must make sure that the images on your website are saved on an entirely separate domain. You can do this easily by the help of Amazon S3. Just register with Amazon S3 and open an account. Make a sub domain for e.g. xyz.amazon.com and store all your images there. This allows your website to load faster.
2. You can also put images on websites such as Flickr and then utilize them as a separate domain.
3. Don’t forget to resize the images before you put them on your website. An important thing to note here is that you should not resize the images using width and height. Always use professional image editing software such as Photoshop to resize images.
4. Use clean codes.
5. Make sure that your CSS is in separate .css files. They should not be entrenched in each and every page.
6. Choose a reliable server for your website. A server which is overburdened will usually cause problems for your website. Meanwhile, if your website is big and attract a large number of visitors then you should choose a dedicated server.
7. Choose a hosting plan which offers unlimited bandwidth. Always choose a hosting plan from a reliable and trustworthy hosting provider.
8. Don’t forget to minimize redirects. Make sure that you utilize 301 redirects only if it is very important.
9. Compress or eradicate needless flash elements. Flash is just hyped and slow. It definitely has some advantages but you should not rely on it completely.
10. You must remove unwanted white space in HTML. Some of you might be unaware of the fact that white space consumes a lot of storage space.
11. Avoid using text on images. I came across a few websites which included text on images. Text on images is not at all useful for SEO purposes and is a totally useless practice. It also increase the size of the images and thus it takes more time to load. Hence you should not use text on images that are placed on your website.
12. If you are working in .NET then you must find out how to compress the VIEW STATE variable. VIEW STATE variable utilizes a lot of space. I would recommend you to completely eradicate this variable from your codes.
13. Don’t put your website and database on the same server. Use different servers for both. Data base transactions consume a large portion of your server’s oomph. Hence, if your website and database are on the same server then the speed of your web page is at risk.
14. You must learn how to use Allow Override if you are using Apache.
15. Configure GZIP compression on your server in order to improve the load time of your web page.
A website which takes a lot of time to load is considered to be a poor website. You will find various tips on the internet other than the ones I have mentioned above which will help to enhance your websites performance. The kind of server you select for your website will play a crucial role in the success and failure of your website hence make a wise choice. You should know your websites requirements and try to find a server which fulfills all your requirements.